Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Can We Fix It?

Before I begin writing, I want to preface this post with saying I'm merely playing the devil's advocate; questioning your beliefs to find out just how strongly you truly stand behind them will in turn fuel your passion. I'm assuming that most people in this class were aware that there was a famine in East Africa (and if you didn't, I guess you do now, huh?) but like myself get a little lost in the politics and the details to truly grasp what's really happening. And in the respect, I'm thankful for this project for giving me the opportunity to be slightly more connected to the world as a global citizen. That being said, I do have to question the project itself.

In doing some very initial research, I have found that our government is already involved, and once more is quoted as being,
"the largest single contributor to relief in the Horn of Africa." After spending millions and millions of dollars on helping out another country in the name of humanity, my question for you is this: with the ongoing economic crisis this country has faced in the past three years and our ever growing and seemingly limitless debt, why are we spending the millions of dollars on another country's welfare? Surely, there are other developed countries out there that can afford to help out as well? Great Britain? Australia? France? Germany? What about them?

Don't get me wrong, I don't starve and I don't think anyone else should. It's above all, a basic human decency that we owe to these people who can't help themselves and we should help them. But why is it that everyone looks to the United States for help for their problems? This isn't the first time there have been starving people in the world, and you know what, it's not going to be the last. What did people do before America was a superpower? What are they going to do when we CAN'T help them?

Sometimes, the best way to go about fixing a problem is to just get in there and get your hands dirty. In these situations, sometimes it's best to not involve the government. Maybe we shouldn't rely on our government to always provide the solution. And maybe the problems of the rest of the world shouldn't have to weigh on the United States shoulders. Enter this project. We're not the government, yet we're trying to do some good for these poor people. That being said, you can have the best intentions but not get anywhere without the power of influence. Do you guys think that we're really going to make an impact in this famine's future? Do we have any power or influence without the government? Or is it really just a catch 22?


Photo Cred: danielberhane.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment