Monday, September 5, 2011

NGOs: Non-Grocery Operated

Alright gang. Now, I’m not sure how y’all are feeling about this project, but the deeper I seem to be searching for NGOs, the harder it is to find an ACTUAL NGO that accepts food donations. Call me crazy, but I definitely don’t think it should be this hard! If these organizations are out there, I certainly haven’t had any luck finding them. I did however find several NGOs dealing specifically in African countries, such as Twaweza Project and Kenyans for Kenya, but even these organizations don’t seem to be accepting food. As we said in class, putting food in a box and sending it oversees isn’t that complicated; it is however crazy expensive!

When I studied abroad in London, I received two packages from my parents through out my stay. Both where tiny, weighing less than 10 pounds each and both cost over forty dollars to send. Can you imagine the cost of sending giant boxes of food certainly weighing more than 10 pounds to Africa? Yikes! Too me, it just doesn’t seem worth it. All the money that’s being spent on packaging could have been used to support this cause!

The smarter, more efficient and ideal plan would be to raise solely monetary donations for a single NGO. We can certainly make sure that they have a staff of people on the ground in the countries that are being aided and that the money we’re sending IS being spent on food, but the mandatory prerequisite for this assignment that food donations must be excepted seems a bit lofty and unrealistic for the kind of modern society we live in today.

1 comment:

  1. I tend to agree, seeing as it is more economically viable to buy food closer to the camps then pay to send food over. This also prevents the receiving of inappropriate foodstuffs as donations, and allows for the organization to better manage the distribution of what kinds of foods they feel is needed.

    ReplyDelete